"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, May 28, 2010

Late May?

A typical late May day would involve lift over the mountains, either high cloud bases or blue sky and an unsoarable, inverted valley. Today however, after yet ANOTHER strong frontal passage, the mountains were obscured in low clouds and the valley revealed wonderfully developed yet low cumulous, reminiscent of winter. Someone get ahold of Dr. Jack, this must STOP. Well, I'll play what I'm dealt so here's takeoff in "Juliet Hotel" for some low valley soaring.
A few minutes later I'm off tow at 2500' over Williams.
Despite a nicely developed sky the thermals are weak and cloud base is ONLY 3000.' I work towards Colusa and choose my next cloud carefully.
The valley is begining to dry up and I head back towards Williams. I follow "Delta Romeo" around a bit but its getting tough.
After only an hour I find myself low over Williams, struggling to stay up. At 1400' I lower the landing gear, perform my checklist and call "traffic, number two for landing." Circling the I.P. waiting for the pattern to clear some pilots would try using skill to prevent being prematurely decked. However, after several years of flying, I find luck to be much more valuable, so I break it out. A thermal drifts through and somehow I climb out, raise the gear and call "Williams Traffic disregard my landing intentions." I get back in the game and head South-West this time, to the foothills.
Cloud base gradually rises to 4000' near the hills and the thermals are just as soft so I don't wander to far. After playing in and near the hills I return to a completely blue valley after extending my flight to 3 1/2 hours. With a little luck I was fortunate to make the most of this challenging and unusual late May day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the best part... Eating at Fresh Choice after your flight. :-)
T