"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Saturday, May 15, 2010

North or South?

Today was my first experience towing behind a Super Cub and I can see why the Pawnee is a preferred tow plane. With a slow climb and speed of 60 knots, a foothill tow was my only option. I released in the blue, down low, for a fight right off the bat.
I eventually gained enough altitude to push back towards a nice cloud street that connected into the mountains.
I played in the mountains, enjoyed the scenery and followed a lowering cloud base North to Snow Mountain.
With cloud base down to 8000' at Snow this was as far North as I would go. I followed the clouds back South and made a zig-zag course to Lower Clear Lake.
I hooked up with this sailplane who was out of Crazy Creek in a sweet thermal.
I continued to push South towards Saint Helena into the blue where the going got tough. I noticed a marine layer creeping inland and decided to turn West with Lake Berryessa off my right wing.
After hitting the Capay Valley I ran home to WSC tired and content after my adventures both to the North and South on this fun and challenging day. Here is a clip of a great mountain thermal.

No comments: