"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, May 3, 2010

Too Good, Must Fly

I had no intension of flying today having spent five hours aboard a Boeing 757 yesterday, with the engines running the entire time as the airline sucked the fun out of the air. Until, I saw high thermals and convergence forecasted over the Mendos. Everyone at WSC was planning for a foothill tow, as today was too good for a "sissy" mountain tow. I requested a mountain tow anyway but my ego pulled the release over the foothills at Bear Valley. I worked hard to East Park Reservoir and crawled up Goat Mountain saving good tow money. I then crossed to Snow Mountain arriving low where last years burn fortunately worked well despite being covered in snow.
I climbed out to cloud base for an awesome view of The Snow Mountain Wilderness.
A worked East towards a nice convergence line marking it's way North over St. John.
I worked the windward side of the convergence North and would occasionally climb high above the clouds in strong upper level winds that felt like little "wavelets." Over the Northern mountains I found the cause of these "wavelets" when I spotted this lenticular cloud capping a cumulous cloud on the convergence line.
Although the thermic, convergence, wavelet above the convergence cumulous lift was great, I was 45 miles out and it was getting late. I topped out above 16,000' and turned around at Alder Springs with Sheet Iron Mountain, Snow Mountain and Goat Mountain aligned for my course home.
I maintained good altitude back and once I closed my course at Bear Valley I continued South. The lowering sun made beautiful reflections off Clear Lake and Indian Valley Reservoir.
I crossed the Rumsey Gap and turned the Capay Valley for final glide. The excitement wasn't over as I managed a bumpy 15 gusting to 18 kt crosswind landing on "one-six" at Williams after a 4 1/2 hour flight on a day that was too good to miss.

No comments: