"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spring Soaring and Sea Breeze

Off Diablo, I scratched in front of the Tower Launch once airborne on this fine spring day.
Not wanting to overstay my welcome up top, I soon drove for Eagle Peak and contacted a solid thermal to hang loose and climb in.
Eagle was letting off its typical high pressure, punchy and reliable lift. With only one wire twang it wasn't too rough, however not the kind of air too let go of the control bar in either.
Once I topped out at 3800' I drove back towards the peak.
I found lift on the way but didn't have the altitude to fully make it. As the lift seemed to be dying from what I thought was Cirrus, I decided to head out for Mitchell Canyon and take a well deserved break from coring lift.
The flag at the North end of the quarry was indicating NW so I set up for Mitchell Canyon LZ. On final my ground speed seemed awfully fast for a hang glider. GULP ... TAILWIND. A hard flare, run, run, run, I ALMOST pulled it off. I then checked, yes, straight aluminum and straight bones. The wind was rapping around both sides of the quarry as the low level prevailing had shifted from the West. On the drive home, this very apparent sea breeze was the real culprit of who had killed the lift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice flying Matt. Wish I was with you today instead of working.

RM