"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Big Sky

A late and powerful low pressure system was moving overhead which brought amazing clouds to Northern California. There were areas of nice flat bottomed cumulous, over development, tall, wide, cirrus, you name it. It was an interesting day as I jumped aboard "Delta Romeo" for a local tow as a cell was closing in on the town of Williams.
With the cell coming for town, over development in the hills and mountains the nicest looking clouds seemed to point a path towards the Sutter Buttes.
I cloud hopped around the valley and choose my path carefully keeping an eye out for the bigger cells and their rain.
I Crossed over the Sacramento River near the very small town of Meridian.
I turned the Sutter Buttes which were shaded by cumulous and had the most fantastic lift of the day.
As mid-afternoon approached the development became more widespread so I made a large circular course to the North and back upwind towards Williams. Luckily lift was good and cloud base high as this part of the valley did not have a dry field to land in.
Winds had picked up at Williams, the sky was big and I decided to call it a day after only two hours playing in the sky. As I drove home through hard rain and hail I felt that it was a good call on this very unusual late May day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fun and interesting flight. Looked like you went in a direction you don't normally go in. Cool!
T