"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wind and Thermals

A rapidly building North to South and onshore pressure gradient meant wind was coming for Mount Diablo. I was determined to get an early start and beat being blown out, if possible. I got to the Tower Launch at Noon and quickly set up in light but gusty conditions. Teri's expert wire assistance saved me from one turtle as she helped me get into the air safely.
WOW, never mind that funny dressed man in the foreground or North Peak in the background, look at the VARIOMETER. It's not even One PM.
As I spun up, I drifted back towards the summit in moderate North-West flow which increased with altitude. With the lift topping at 4100' and being leary of the drift I didn't push to close.
I eventually moved out towards lower ground and lower altitudes. Here the air was smooth and the thermals were plentiful as lush Spring soaring conditions were found.
After about an hour I noticed a light drift starting from the West. It was time to call it a day and move out to Clayton for a read on the surface wind.
I pulled off a landing at Mitchell Canyon in a bit of rotor as the wind was switching from North to West due to onshore flow beginning. An early start at Diablo paid off on this particular Spring Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job predicting conditions, Matt! Beautiful photos, as always.

RM