"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Saturday, May 8, 2010

We Made it Work

With a morning marine layer and moderate West wind Gerry, Mike and I decided to take our chances at Diablo with hope that an incoming low would provide soaring. I followed Gerry off launch who was slowly falling down the mountain on what I feared would be an extended sled ride. If this guy couldn't make it work I was doomed. I found myself approaching below Gerry as he was barely hanging on.
I hit an OK thermal but made it work for a rare view of the top of Gerry's glider.
Not to worry, he soon climbed past me so we could return the world to right side up. I followed below and worked the challenging conditions back up to launch level where I played out front in finicky thermals. With wind on the deck we were concerned about the 1000 Footer LZ. I was on the lowest performance wing so I got to lead and when I found myself in position, I penetrated up wind across Pine Canyon.
The usual Pine Canyon sink, head wind and Sport 2 combination put me pretty low but I managed to eek out a little circling once across and even pulled into Macedo Ranch with enough altitude for a pattern.
Gerry and Mike arrived higher and worked Fossil Ridge before landing at Macedo so trusty Teri could have one stop on the retrieve at our choice of the easy South-West side LZ.

No comments: