"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Up and Down

Being that I have no idea what normal weather is anymore, I didn't know if I should believe computer generated squiggly lines which indicated soarable conditions at Diablo, despite an obvious marine layer. As usual there is only one way to find out.
The thermals were wind sheared, small and punchy which required putting the Sport 2 on it's tip.
Although the thermals were snakey they were abundant and consistant climbs were found.
High Cu's began forming, however, I was on the wrong side of the mountain to break through the 3200' inversion and I would never see their base.
I felt this air mass was on the verge of washing out the marine inversion. Teri called on the radio stating I had to call today "up and down" because every time she looked I was either up or down. Here I am climbing from down to up over North Gate Road.
The phrase "up and down" would be most poignant during my landing (attempt) at the 1000 footer. With South surface wind I made a usual high approach to avoid rotor and all looked well until 10 seconds into the video below. On short final I got popped, rocked and noticed I was going to overshoot the LZ. Instead of making a futile attempt diving it in, I went with the lift, got upright, overshot the LZ and turned back into the ridge for my landing/whack. Not too bad considering the conditions. Damn this LZ can be a handful midday in summer. Is it summer?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice save at the Thousand, Matt! That was quick thinking - flying N after the pop, then quickly coming around toward the S to land near the top. You must've been pretty close to the treetops on the N side as you turned onto that second-chance final!

RM