"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summer at Diablo and a Low Save

Soaring Mount Diablo during the summer months is an elusive quest. The marine layer and its companion the sea breeze are a constant threat which can shut down soaring. Or worse, if you find yourself on the wrong side of the mountain scare you from the air, bounce you off your sail in rotor and put you down at the crossroads, far from any LZ or road access but damn glad to be safe on the ground ... not that I would know anything about that. With finicky summer conditions most locals head for the mountains and with good reason, as some of the best and most scenic mountain flying can be had, half a days drive away. I however, find my schedule conflicts with friends, my wife, the weather and well, I can see Mount Diablo from my living room. So with a careful study and a little luck, I have grown to enjoy finding the right day, right time, right glider and right spot to make Diablo work.

Today the high pressure which was holding the marine layer and sea breeze at bay, till late in the afternoon, was also creating gusty NE winds at the Tower Launch. Challenging conditions provided an exercise in patience and I found an OK launch cycle after only half an hour. I immediately headed towards Eagle Peak which was baking in the midday sun for some thermalling.
Typical high pressure conditions were found. The climbs went barely above the summit and with respect for ground clearance in bumpy lift, I soon found myself below Eagle and trying to thermal out of Mitchell Canyon.
Since that never seems to work and I was losing more than gaining, I soon scraped through the canyon en route to the LZ's.
Unzipped over the flats and trying to study the surface winds I grabbed a bubble.
It was light but definitely there, and I was climbing.
With near 100 degree heat I couldn't decide whether I wanted to zip up again, but eventually comfort beat temperature and I was in the game over Twin Peaks benching back towards Eagle.
Teri had left the Tower earlier as I was sinking into Mitchell Canyon. Driving down with concern the sea breeze had attacked me she was surprised to hear I was still in the air. I was safe and happy but still only able to climb slightly above Eagle. I eventually landed at the 100 degree Mitchell Canyon LZ on a summer day that worked, just barely.

No comments: