"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Convergence Line

Wet air spilling off the Pacific Ocean was slamming into the Sacramento Valley air mass forming a classic convergence line above the Mendocino Mountains. The only problem was, the air was too wet and bases were well below the high peaks as I towed toward the South end of the convergence line aboard "Delta Romeo."
With nothing but sink under the clouds I ventured West to the windward side where I found the lift along Goat Ridge.
Pockets of strong lift would rocket up, but, with the wet air, clouds would form instantly and vigilance was necessary to keep clear.
Although the lift went well above base on the windward side of this huge line of clouds, it laid between me and the valley. I would eventually have to go around or under it, to get back. A couple of brave pilots ventured XC to the North. I however chickened out after 2 1/2 hours and headed back. Another nice convergence line had formed on the South End of Bear Valley but unfortunately I didn't have the altitude to cross the blue hole.
With a classic convergence came the standard 15 knot crosswind landing on 16 at Williams for the last challenge of the day.

No comments: