"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Big Blue Day to Mountain House

With high pressure in place, hot temperatures, light winds and a marine layer out to sea, where it belongs, I decided to break my U2 out of it's garage and give Mount Diablo a go, with slight hope that today is as good as the forecast indicates. In gusty conditions with much needed wire help Robert, Ian and I successfully launch the Tower. After a little work low over Bald Ridge I find a thermal and eventually climb to 6,700'. With the Summit Parking Lot far below me, foothills paint a path down range for cross country to the East.
After not finding lift over North Peak I hit sustained sink as I head East. Seven miles into cross country and I'm down to 3500' where I find my first thermal after leaving the mountain.
I continue down the highest line of foothills where climbs become plentiful, the air is smooth and the sight of Diablo grows smaller in the distance.
Robert is several miles ahead and reporting good lift over Lake Vasqueros so I drive over. Well, my vario tells the story better than I can.
With gust lines on Lake Vasqueros indicating wind in an opposite direction of windmills spinning over the Altamont Pass we quickly realize we are in a bit of convergence. With blue sky the question is which way does it go. Well, lets continue East. Over a very busy Byron Airport with skydive jump planes, sailplanes and G.A. operation I'm glad to be high above the traffic pattern.
The town of Mountain House stands out amongst the two lane roads of the area. The recession has left some nice large landing zones so I pick one of the vacant fields smack in the middle of town with a green park, adjacent. Mount Diablo appears small on the horizon as I release the VG and sight the LZ.
A nice landing and short carry to the park with palm trees to shade me from the near 100 degree sun as I wait for Teri to arrive from her long retrieve. A wonderful flight from Mount Diablo to Mountain House on this big blue day.

No comments: