"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lift and Sink in Local Mountains

My best opportunity for soaring this week looked to be over the Mendocino Mountains in high performance glass, so I decided to take "Juliet Hotel" out to Tree Farm for some soaring. I found challenging conditions but eventually climbed out for a nice view of Goat Ridge with Clear Lake in the distance.
The day was a mix of convergence and thermal lift which provided big lift and big sink. The standard spectacular views were present as I watched a couple kayakers tour Lett's Lake as I thermaled above.
I would continually top out at 8.5K with the occasionally 9K. Several attempts to the North towards Snow and St. John each resulted in being slammed down by big sink.
For some reason my heart wasn't into a nail biting glide through sink to the next mountain which would end up out of glide of WSC so I decided to stay local. Eventually the lift began dying and I moved out. The convergence line had shifted East to East Park Reservoir so I continued my local soaring over the foothills.
After three hours of stick time I headed back and arrived nice and high above WSC.
A sweet landing was the perfect end after flying the lift and sink of summertime thermals and convergence above the local mountains.

No comments: