"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, July 26, 2010

Drive to O.D.

Two consecutive days provide monsoonal moisture and instability over Northern California. No sense in trying to pick the best one, I'll just try them both. Off tow in the blue on day two, at Goat Mountain where I struggle to get up. I have motivation as clouds are beginning to pop over Snow Mountain, just to my North. Further, at 55 miles, I can see the beginning of overdevelopment.
Over Snow Mountain I spin it up. Late July and there is still snow.
I work North as the sky starts to develop nicely by mid-afternoon. A fun hop from cloud to cloud with lift right to their bases.
Following my stepping stones North, I'm getting closer to that O.D.
Black Butte off my left wing with Covelo over the far ridge, as I drive towards Anthony Peak.
I come to a blue hole and just beyond, BAM. Maybe this a good turn point for my return.
I work South and notice my clouds are starting to dry up. Then, GULP, I come to a 25 mile blue hole all the way to Snow Mountain, with WSC an additional 35 miles beyond. Oh, did I mention I had a 10 Kt tailwind on my out leg, now a 10 Kt headwind.
Needless to say I struggle, but keep an airport in glide, get to that cloud at Snow pretty low, climb to it's 10K foot base and have a fun, fast, 35 mile final glide, all the way home. Day two was well worth the effort with a fun three hour drive North and struggle home to the edge of Monsoonal O.D.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hull, Snow and Letts are my back yard playground. Cool to see them from anoter POV. What you do is pretty awesome. You may like some stuff I post about. Check out Exploringnorcal.com I dont have too much yet but it should be getting better. Got to love our work schedule huh? Get to get out and do cool stuff like this.