"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Roughing it at Lake Almanor

Murphy invites some of the fire crew up to his Lake Almanor cabin for a "four day." Humm, sounds rough but, maybe I'll get some airtime.
A hard way to start each day, with a session of "morning glass."
As the day warms up, the lake gets rollers and I switch to the wake board. Man this is miserable.
Back to the hot tub for breakfast, before sailing. Very stressful.
The afternoon hits and I finally get a break. I go to Keddie Ridge, slap the glider together and climb out from launch.
It's a tough way to spend a four day but, I'm hanging in there with Mountain Meadows Reservoir in the background.
Up high, I find a nice view of the Sierras with Cummies and their shadows speckled on the forest below.
As the evening approaches the lift begins to die, so I head out to Indian Valley.
And bring it in for landing.
Back to Murphy's shack for more suffering, as I repeat the cycle.
And manage to tough through it for four days.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! So where did you land in the valley?

RM

Matt Epperson said...

I planned to land at the school in Greenville for an easy retrieve on the West side of I.V. nearest to Lake Almanor. The wind was moderate West on the ground, so rather than deal with rotor in a restricted LZ, I ended up landing in the large field adjacent to the school on its East side. It was a bit bumpy coming in, but the field is huge and this made for an easy approach. It was still close enough to the school to get spotted for my retrieve and even for a picture.

Anonymous said...

what kind of tow boat did you have???? That wake looks killer

Matt Epperson said...

An open bow Sport Natique. Early version of the Air Natique. Good for slalom and wake board, but its not my boat.

Is this JW?

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic boat!!!! I wish I had one..........lol...yes

Unknown said...

Looks like a hard time up there. Let me get this straight? Between water skiing, sailing, flying you never said "Enough"!! Let me go!! You really should of spent more time relaxing with some vino in a spa.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget he also had to get rid of that extra energy and go for a run each day.

Matt Epperson said...

You can rest when your dead. Plenty of spa and wine in heaven. Thanks got to run.

Anonymous said...

I like those ski shots, Are you missing your Mastercraft??

Matt Epperson said...

Earth, water, air, I can't do it all; all the time anyway. If I still had my Master Craft I would have to start another Blog, "Real Walls Don't Need Building Permits."

Anonymous said...

I miss ripping it up on the lake.
T