"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Gliding Over The Marine Layer

Observations this morning revealed a well established, deep marine layer, holding firm over the entire Bay Area. Only an extended sled ride could be counted on at Mount Diablo. What are my choices? Something else, or hang glide. I decided a summer day in the beautiful outdoors doing what I love, if only for a short time, beats most anything else. So I set up at Juniper Launch on Diablo as fog spilled around the base of Mount Tamalpais in the distance.
Off Juniper I decided to forgo a futile attempt scratching washed out thermals which would eventually lead to a breezy and bumpy Thousand Footer LZ. Instead I concentrated on my glide and figured if I could capture distance above the sea breeze, I should make Macedo Ranch in Alamo, even on a Sport 2. I questioned this move once above the no mans land of a marined out Pine Canyon but, I still made the crossing for the LZ thats easy in a sea breeze. The nice break down area at Macedo Ranch.
A minute and a half film, which is only slightly shorter than the actual flight. Ah yes, I got to hang glide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice landing! I was especially impressed with how close to the road you got. I always end up higher on the hill. It looked like you came in more toward the west than I do, avoiding coming in over the houses and trees and getting lower than my more NW approach. Good job!

RM

C R Valley said...

Love the fist pump and the hang-five, brother!