"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, August 2, 2010

Fishin For Thermals

My friends at Oakland send a ballon into the sky, bright and early each morning, just so us bay area hang glider pilots can get an idea how lucky we might be on any given day.
With little exception, the data doesn't change much during the summer as it indicates a well established, persistent marine layer sitting about 1500'. This tends to drive all the big trophy thermals into the mountains of the Sierras and Mendocinos. However, the weak, little and slow thermals still hide in the local hills. They're illusive and hard to catch, but still fun. I launch Juniper on Diablo and if there is one here, I'm going to find it, so I try to sneak up on them from behind on the upper ridges.
No luck with the upper mountain. Burma Ridge is home to many a thermal, so I'll fish here.
All the way down the mountain without a bite. Then, right over the 1000 Footer LZ I get a nibble.
It's a little guy, but today I'm a poacher and I'm climbing.
North Gate Road and those ridge lines might have something bigger but I'm not letting this guy go.
Well, I slaughter the devil out of that little guy and buy myself a couple minutes on the sled ride, realizing one thing. The only thermal trigger on the mountain is over the LZ, it's midday summer and it's going to be poppy coming in. I get the speed on and slide it through the oak trees, nice and low.
I still get a good pop, but fortunately I'm on a Sport 2 and get it down before the hilltop, on two feet even, cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Matt. i learned a little about about Marine Layer and thermals. Is that possible from a hangglider wife? i thought i knew it all. Glad you had a good day.
Teri