"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Struggle Over Goat Ridge

A quick consult with Dr. Jack this morning doesn't provide much joy. Oh well, he is occasionally pessimistic. Off tow at Goat, I struggle, but eventually climb comfortably above the ridge.
Today, this particular spot seems to be the most consistent thermal trigger on the mountain and I spend a lot of time above it. Notice the half dozen vehicles?
I enjoy watching people float around Lett's Lake on this warm summer day.
The turbulence increases, the lift fades, episodes of weightlessness become frequent, glider control is difficult and I am starting to become queazy for the second time ever. Enough, I'm too low but off to Snow Mountain anyway. I arrive well below the peak and can't work my way on top. Sinking slowly down the SW slope I head back and glide past the foothills of Goat, pretty low below the ridge line in the distance.
500 feet above glide and 35 miles out from WSC which is beyond view looks a little intimidating.
One could say today was a failed struggle for cross country. One could say today was a successful struggle at staying aloft for 2.8 hours. I say, I struggled, I made the airport and I returned the plane the way it was when I took off. Here is a clip from the beginning of todays flight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So I was at Lett's on Sun & Mon. Usually have a great day of sun. Lots of clouds those days and I noticed they seemed to eddy off Goat and hold over lett's most of the day. Also observed the clouds moving all different directions from Snow. Everything seemed to be pulled toward the N.E. of Goat to the Lett's Area. I wondered what it might be like up there, guess you answered my ?

Anonymous said...

wow, some of those trees look realy close. Sounds like you had challenging flight. Good job Matt.
T

C R Valley said...

Nice flight, but you forgot to give the hang-loose sign at the end of the video...

Matt Epperson said...

Yikes, my sponsors are pissed.