"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Riding Giants

When wind blows over mountains, under specific atmospheric conditions, the air begins to form the largest waves found on, or rather above this planet. High performance sailplanes are the tool for catching these waves. I concentrate hard as I start my takeoff roll with a 10 knot tailwind aboard "Juliet Hotel," in search of giants.
After towing through rotor I release in the lee of Goat Mountain. Down low the wave is weak with a few holes. I work hard below the Lenticular Clouds as I head towards Snow Mountain with Hull Mountain barely visible beyond.
Once above the clouds, lift turns on. The view is spectacular with Snow Mountain clearly visible through a gap between wave clouds.
My GPS warns me I'm at 17,500' and approaching Class A Airspace. Time to race South, beyond the Mendocino Wave. With good altitude I cross Indian Valley Reservoir, Walker Ridge, Cache Creek, The Capay Valley and contact solid wave over Vaca Ridge. I get a good view of the dam at Lake Berryessa.
I ride the wave back North to Bear Valley, head out and tag the valley towns of Arbuckle and Colusa below, before returning to Williams, tired and content after 4 hours riding giants.
Below is a reminder to inhale through your nose while wearing a nasal cannula at altitude.

No comments: