"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

OH NO Cirrus

Would the unseasonable mid-March heat overcome a stable atmosphere for soaring at Mount Diablo? There is only one way to find out, so I planned a late afternoon launch from Juniper. Unfortunately, Mr. Cirrus was on my same schedule and planned to take away ground heating, fun and ambiguity to the soaring question.
With the sun's energy thwarted I did what soaring pilots do in this situation. I scratched like mad.
I planned on landing at Mecedo Ranch however, my relentless scratching put me to low for crossing Pine Canyon so it was going to be a 1000 Footer day. One thing Mr. Cirrus did do for me, mellow out the typical turbulence and allowed a fun slipping turn to final through the oak trees on my Sport 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was watching you and the PG at launch, I could tell that the cirrus was gonna be a problem. The webcam showed the mountain all in shadow. Still, you had alot more fun than I did!

RM