"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fast Sky Over Diablo

When the west wind blows at altitude, with enough velocity, ridge lift can be found on the footsteps leaving Juniper Launch at Diablo. With UFO shaped clouds high in the air I knew the sky was fast enough for orographic enhanced lift.
I worked launch and then benched up Moses Rock Ridge behind.
I circled instinctively and unsuccessfully in thermals drifting through. I found only S-Turns worked in these wind blown thermals and also found they rose high above Juniper Launch. I noticed a couple of Red Tail Hawks mimicking this technique later in the day.
With a little over 4000' I ventured slightly over Moses Rock Ridge to the north side and had a stare down with the Devil, which I lost unfortunately.
Lack of lift or lack of skill usually drives me from the air. Today it was a lack of being able to feel my fingertips after 1 1/4 hours in this frozen air. My GPS indicated an 8 mph ground speed, bar to chest as I attempted Blakes LZ. It also indicated my respective glide ratio diminished as I thermaled with the drift, NEAT. Too late to change gliders, I'm on a Sport 2 with decent west wind; it's a 1000 Footer day. I set up high and wide putting me close to an overshoot but avoiding the worst rotor. Don't worry, I still got to wrestle a demon just before touchdown. Glad I didn't change gliders.

No comments: