"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spring Fever?

The air is getting warmer, the days longer and I, well, unofficially declared spring in this blog yesterday. With the fever spreading, five of us were at Williams Soaring on a Thursday with big XC dreams, despite a mediocre forecast. I towed second in "Delta Romeo" and dropped my downwind wing hard on a crossing tailwind takeoff just to get my adrenaline spiked for the 20 mile tow to Walker Ridge just east of Indian Valley Reservoir.
At only 3500' elevation it was surprising to see snow speckled in the vegetation at Walker.
Maybe it was the snowy ground, or maybe spring doesn't know its unofficially hear, but the lift was way to light for any attempts into the beautiful mountains north and any hope of big XC.
Back to the valley for ratty wind blown lift. Thank you Highway 5 for your consistent thermal triggers.
After one, much too short hour I redeemed my takeoff by greasing a bumpy crosswind landing on one-six at Williams.

No comments: