"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, March 5, 2010

Practicing Patience

Two hours of weight shift thermaling yesterday made me awake with the sweetest soreness I've felt since fall. With just enough energy to move my wrist and toes I was off to the gliderport for more soaring. A thick cirrus layer prevented any XC opportunities so I decided to take a low tow for a some cloud hopping around the airport.
The ASW-27B "Juliet Hotel" with a 48:1 glide ratio on this short course should be like a bazooka at a fist fight however, I needed all the help I could get in these challenging conditions. It took concentration and patience just to achieve a positive number on the averager.
I made it about 3/4 of the way around before two Cumulous Fakus decided to team up and deck me. With a 50 minute flight I got my full money out the 2500' tow.

No comments: