"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring has Sprung

Punxsutawney Phil insists on one more week of winter. A group of "astronomers" want to wait for the "vernal equinox" on March 20th to start spring based on "science." Due to popular demand amongst soaring pilots I have evidence to the contrary. Six consecutive soaring flights, 5000' msl and my side wires went "spring" after getting tossed from a thermal today. Mike launched first and radioed "it is a little bumpy." Translation "HOLD ON TIGHT." As soon as I left the Tower atop Diablo I knew it was a crank and bank kind of day.
The cumies were ragged just like the thermals below. Their bases were at 5000' where the air was bitterly cold.
If we weren't in lift we were in sink, so Mike and I worked together to stay airborne.
After 1 1/2 hours I had enough of this punchy fun. We topped off at Eagle, drove through big sink crossing Mitchell Canyon, refueled near Mount Zion, glided to Blakes and worked our first smooth lift of the day before landing at Lime Ridge for some cattle rustling.
Mike may be one hell of a pilot but he sure needs practice herding cattle with his hang glider as I had to drive them all myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice flying and herding there, fella!

Robert