"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, March 26, 2010

Staying Local

Punching off the Towers into a good, but not great spring day, meant our group of five would stay local, soaring the North side of Diablo. All except for Kevin, who believes the closest LZ to Diablo is in Livermore. I'm in happy air, hanging loose over Bald Ridge at 400 fpm up, in my first thermal of the day.
I top out even with the peak, to low to leave, but high enough to stay and play.
Over Bald I take a hard look at Robert's Atos as I have rarely seen its upper surface.
With a mix of up and down we all trade places in the stack. Maybe I'll move over and join Mike as he's climbing well.
After our predetermined golden hour we all head out. A little circling above Mount Zion with a nice view of todays playground in the distance.
The steep walls of the quarry immediately west of todays LZ, Mitchell Canyon, where we had nice landings after a fun day in familiar sky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! Thanks for the ride up.

RM