"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Not My Day

Occasionally, I have a day when every stop light is green after sleeping all night at the firehouse and karma is on my side. Today was not one of those days.


Off duty, after 48 hours on, I'm groggy. Due to a departing cold front I make no excuse. With caffeine jitters I drive through traffic over two bridges to Mount Tamalpias where the departing clouds should clear first. I arrive at launch to see my hole close in as fog grows thick. One more bridge and try number two for Fort Funston. A little more traffic, a detour, unfamiliar area, "hey weren't we just driving down this road?" Flying is no longer a desire today, it is now a quest. With gliders in the air I set up quick and get into the light smooth ridge lift at Fort Funston, finally.
Permission to buzz launch? Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full.
For some reason the cliff seems to grow taller on every pass. It took a lot of effort to fly today, maybe just a couple more laps.
Possibly a bad turn or a couple days of firehouse cooking on my small wing but I'm beginning to think a top landing may not be possible anymore.
Mercy, that looks like a nice spot to land.
Not to waste my very dedicated driver at Funston; Teri made the jaunt down to the north end where Mike was kind enough to help carry out after my first opportunity to use the beach as an LZ.

No comments: