"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lucifer Offers Redemption

With a less than stelar day in my attempt for airtime yesterday I awake after a full night sleep. I start today with a healthy breakfast, 4000 yard swim and a horoscope that reads "500 fpm lift to 5000 feet." Probably too optimistic but hey, what a difference a day makes. Winds are light out the back from the South-East at that Devil Mountain making for a long launch run at Juniper, but not strong enough to allow any demons into the air. In familiar territory I know just where to go for up air in these conditions.
There's thermals in them there hills. I bank it up.
Lift is light, cloud base is scraping launch, but it's wonderful in the air today.
I work everything I can, even into the lower foothills where the lift seems less effected by lee side wind.
With weak, low lift it's a 1000 footer day. I line up and squeek it in.
I radio my location to Teri and use aviation vernacular explaining my landing at this technical LZ. She calls back with concern, "a greaser is good, right?" I reply "YES...IT...IS"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sitting in my office, I was wishing I could come out to play. Nice flight Matt!

RM