"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, February 19, 2010

Ed Levin Elusive Pre-Frontal Soaring

With southerly winds and a destabilizing atmosphere I tried to capture that elusive pre-frontal soaring flight at Ed Levin on my Sport 2.
The wind was marginal in strength and had an unfortunate east component, however it was smooth allowing me to tuck in close for some passes over launch.
With the crossing component and lulls in the wind I found myself back at launch level. Time to cash out and point this floater directly up wind so I can clear the 1500' foot hill and soar the bowl beyond which should be faced directly into the wind.
It was smooth and straight in the bowl but even weaker than the top. I fought the relentless force of gravity hard as I slowly descended. I eventually had to give in on a pre-frontal day which came so close to those magical flights when all the meteorological soaring parameters align in just the right way.

No comments: