"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Behind the Curve

Fire weather forecasters indicate a sea breeze will return abruptly this afternoon causing switching and gusty winds. Luckily I'm off work and what is bad for firefighting could be good for soaring. A possibility of convergence at Mount Diablo takes impeccable timing and of a lot of luck. I arrive early in the afternoon, hoping to get off the Tower ahead of a sea breeze, although I arrive just as the wind starts to blow West. Oh well, I quickly set up at Juniper, note a couple of dust devils, strong gusts and building wind. I cross my fingers and get off launch.
Once airborne I realize two things. One, I picked the right launch as it is certainly West and two, I am in sink. Before I know it I'm circling down over The Thousand Footer.
A gusty landing and an unintentional shoe ski to a stop atop the hill. Almost sweet convergence, just a little behind the curve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I know that feeling! I've missed the convergence train plenty of times. There's also times when the convergence just doesn't happen - the marine air just comes in and undercuts the thermal action, making everything stable. It could've been one of those days.

RM