"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Soaring the Eagle High

Heat over Northern California peaks today so I decide to fly, high pressure style. Although, uncharacteristic weather for 2010, prior experience defines just one strategy to soar in these conditions. I tolerantly wait until very late in the afternoon and just as the atmosphere begins to cool, I launch the Tower atop Diablo, bee-lining straight for Eagle Peak. When I get there, yes, my vario sings.
Typical on high pressure days I find an inversion over Eagle at 3100' where I get a roller coaster ride for free. I get to soar, but my climbs have a definitive end at the fun layer.
I know Eagle is it, but I don't have to cut the same hole in the sky all day so I move out and play over the West face.
Push up and spin the North Side.
Even the well shadowed East slope works today.
After an hour the lift begins too wane so I'm out. Late day Mitchell Canyon reveals nil winds and nil turbulence for a wonderfully smooth landing after soaring a high pressure day over Eagle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice flight, Matt. Good call on saving the alt for Eagle.

XC Skies was saying it was gonna be a better-than-average day, with T/L around 5K. Every other forecast tool said it was gonna be poor. Sounds like it was somewhere in between.

RM