"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, September 13, 2010

A Fun Disturbance

Meteorologists indicate a slight "disturbance" will hit the Northern California Mountains as it rotates off a low pressure system over the Pacific Ocean. I don't know exactly what this means, but it sounds good. Out of WSC in "JH" I get off tow at an unusual location, the South end of Goat Ridge. I follow a cloud street on the West side of Goat Ridge and make it North to Snow Mountain. Once there the lift turns on and clouds paint a path towards no mans land, much further to the West than the usual development.
Fortunately base is high and the lift is good so I follow this Westerly route and cut to Black Butte for the final big spin before venturing into the blue.
Clouds over Anthony Peak are a safe glide to Covelo and I point my nose on this continued Western path to the North.
Yollo Peak looks nicely developed but I'll have to head North into the Yolly Bolly Mountain and then cut East to circumvent a giant blue hole.
Soaring in the Yolla Bolly Mountains is just like I remember, FAT. I speed around at 100 KTS under the clouds and maintain at 13K in the bitter cold air.
I tag Yolla Peak and notice a remaining patch of snow.
On the return leg my cloud street shifts even further West to take me directly towards Hull Mountain.
High over Lake Pillsbury.
It's late afternoon and I continue South, gazing at the reflecting sun off Clear Lake.
After tagging the HWY 20/16 intersection I turn East towards the airport and look back at the wonderfully developed mountains.
A greaser landing on "16" for 167 statute miles in 3 1/2 hours. Slow for most, but for me it's good. Reading the forecast discussion in the future, I will always look for the word "disturbance."

No comments: