"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day at Diablo

After laboring through the weekend; if two small fires and two medicals in a 72 hour shift could be considered labor, I awake at the fire house well rested and happy with my new station assignment. A weather check via iPhone while still in my rack indicates nothing special in the soaring department, but Labor Day looks warm and most importantly flyable. Off to Mount Diablo to join the many hikers, equestrians and cyclists enjoy the unofficial end of summer as my fellow flyers are in the mountains for their last hurrah. Solo off the Towers Launch and down bald ridge.
Low past Bald I work a little burble and despite much effort find my altitude simply sustaining.
Off to Eagle where the sun soaked rock is putting off its usual high pressure bullets. Despite being the strongest lift of the day it tops quickly at the inversion and is not so pleasant to ride.
Lower at Twin Peaks I find mellow and enjoyable burbles which buy some time.
Before bringing it in at Mitchell Canyon on this last day of summer, apropos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It won't be long before the rest of the Diablo Team flock back to the Home Site!

RM