"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Friday, October 1, 2010

A Game of Inches

The mountains look a little weak again today, but determined to crank and bank, my best bet is some sailplane action. Off tow at Goat Mountain in "JH" I search for lift and initially find zilch as my tow pilot graciously flies the entire ridge South reporting "not a bump."
Then, this little outcropping of rocks produces some weak lift and I take a 300' climb ending up just shy of my initial release. Today isn't going to be measured in thousands of feet and miles of distance. Today, is going to be a game of inches.
Beautiful Letts Lake shot from todays house thermal.
Despite weak thermals and low altitudes I find the flying surprisingly enjoyable. It takes a lot of concentration just to stay in the air and I'm really working my stick and rudder skills as well as the seat of my pants. It sure doesn't look like I'll make it to Snow Mountain though.
After a couple hours keeping a constant eye on bank angle, airspeed, coordination and lift I tire, so decide to head out. I find a sparse convergence line over Bear Valley which seems too illusive to work for long, but a pleasant surprise.
Heading home with the town of Williams in sight, I see the Sierras are blowing up, a stark contrast from my side of the Valley.
It's amazing that when the game changes one becomes very happy with a one knot thermal and three hundred foot climb. Today was excellent practice and a lot of fun fighting for inches over the mountains.

No comments: