"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lee Side Lightning

A cutoff low dominates California bringing both instability and unfortunately unpredictability to the forecast models. At Mount Diablo, I ponder which launch to take as both are blowing in nicely. I decide to "play it safe" and set up at Juniper as "it" is predicted to be West in the afternoon. Being set up at launch makes it start to trickle down. This must be from the shadowed ground because wonderful Q have now formed overhead. All I have to do is wait for the sun and it will cycle up again. The sun Peeks through, an upslope trickle starts and I anxiously take a L-O-N-G launch run. I crank a couple turns to get above launch, then SLAM ... Knife Blade Towards the hill and sink. I obviously fell out, muscle a roll away from the hill. Sink tone, which makes me excited because the big one must be coming up.
But the sink tone will not stop. Constant 800 to 1200 fpm down the mountain and before I know it, I'm approaching The Thousand Footer.
Sink through the entire pattern, what is going on? I approach scarily low, float high up the hill in moderate turbulence, flare the Sport 2 like mad and...
Why is the VG line ahead of me? Why was my flight time three minutes? Why did I whack a Sport 2 despite a strong flare? If you guessed, tailwind, you are correct as it is blowing straight down the mountain. Perplexed I call the Robot, 0-15 North, and Concord Airport 350 (North) at 8. Well, I just blew a really good looking day by picking the wrong launch, but I developed my new Speed Gliding strategy called Lee Side Lighting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mr. Lightning, can I have your autograph?

Yep, picking the wrong launch can be nasty at Diablo - no matter which side you choose. Been there, regretted that!

RM

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation, I probably would've guessed Juniper too, based on all the same data.

RM