"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, October 25, 2010

A Change of Season

Fall has provided a decent soaking to Northern California. With this change in seasons, flight planning also changes from soaring hot mountain thermals to one of timing the right day and perfect front. Well today doesn't look like that perfect day, but it looks good and it is late October. I give it a go and follow Rex in "22Z" out to a beautiful sky above the foothills aboard "Juliet Hotel."
Off tow under a wet sky I find the conditions surprisingly soft.
A lowering sun angle, clean air and change of seasons makes the ordinary foothills appear rather brilliant.
Looking South from the North end of Bear Valley.
I start to get a little low in the hills.
And head out to a blue Valley scratching down to 1700' before I finally hook a solid one over the town of Williams.
Since I'm Valley flying in the blue, my strategy changes. Maybe this recent burn will work?
I hook up with "1PS" for a couple turns before we part ways.
After my low save at 1700' I finally climb to 5K and push back towards the hills for another try, but end up repeating the scratching scene in the Valley. I bring it home tired and content even though I'm a little shy of three hours in the air. A nice Autumn day spent soaring at Williams.

No comments: