"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Cutoff Low

Cutoff lows are a fickle meteorological phenomenon which bring instability and moisture as they stagger about like a drunken sailor for days on end with little prediction if their intention are beneficial or mischievous on any given day. Well today, Mr. Cutoff Low decides to deliver a friendly sky to Northern California; so I take "JH" on a short five mile tow SE of Williams and release for a slow 3K foot spin under developing Q before pushing towards the hills.
The clouds over the foothills are magnificent with flat bases and reliable lift.
I push a little past the Gold Mines for a clear view of Clear Lake.
Back to Rumsey, then I follow the foothill clouds North pushing into a blue hole towards the mountains. Crossing the North end of Bear Valley I meet up with "1PS" for a few turns in weak lift.
The mountains look a little overdeveloped, but I have to try.
I push under the O.D. and scream up Goat Ridge.
With low bases in the mountains and some obscurement North, I turn Goat Peak and follow my trail back towards The Rumsey Gap.
After another lap to Gold Mines I head out to the Sacramento Valley skirting the North end of Capay Valley.
Late Afternoon and the lift begins to fade as thermal season is drawing near. I've been up a little over three hours, so bring it back to WSC for an infamous crosswind landing after soaring the wonder of a cutoff low.

No comments: