"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, November 29, 2010

Wintertime at Mount Diablo

If you don't time the winter soaring windows just right and pick any given day out of a hat you never know exactly what you're going to get at Mount Diablo. However, if normal exists, I suppose today fits the high pressure bill. Launch reveals wind 90 degrees cross and blowing down at times for an exercise in patience. But after waiting only half an hour at launch it goes eerily calm. No winder launches are exciting at the Tower, but with cold, dry high pressure air on my side and a S2 I should be able to make it into the lee side sink just fine. I pull it off and don't find rotor, just a flush full of sink. I have to veer right to miss a land out atop Bald Ridge.
Bummer, it looks like it will be a fast sledder as the sink tone won't quit as I flyby below Eagle Peak.
Yes, down low the sink tone stops. North surface winds are triggering a weak mix of ridge and thermic lift off Twin Peaks and Mitchell Rock.
Scratching around like only a hang glider can sure is fun.
It's not remarkable lift, but it sure makes up for the sink as I get to play in burbles and extend that sled time.
Wind right down the chute at Mitchell LZ makes for an effortless landing on the S2.
A nice reward making the wintertime high pressure day work at Mount Diablo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Based on the sinkyness of the first part of your flight, I assume it was left-cross at launch?

RM

Matt Epperson said...

Robert,
Actually it was blowing ENE at the Tower and I beleive I was getting sink off of Ranson Peak and the entire ridge putting me really low right before getting to Bald Ridge. I cut right because I was not making glide and then flew into the lower level wind which was N and ended up in the lee of Eagle. My S2s poor fast speed glide, trying to escape sink, was not helping. Fortunately the low level N winds were creating some lift in the bowl in front of Mitchell Rock and as soon as I figured out the low level wind I beelined straight for the bowl. As you know different level winds are a common occurance at Diablo. A site wich is sometimes a challenge, never dull and always rewarding.