"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Snowy Mountains and Thermic Hills

A forecast of postfrontal conditions provokes me to take a tow from WSC today. On the way out, towards the mountains I notice a bit of a roll cloud forming over South Snow and think, just maybe ... there's enough North Wind for wave. After a turn of the tug I release to work the windward side of aforementioned cloud.
With unlimited visibility on this late November day, a blanket of white covers the landscape as far as my eyes can see.
Well I don't find the wave, but do manage to catch some nice rotor and decide to head downwind, flying over a partially frozen Letts Lake.
A cloud street marks the South Goat ridge line. I play in the weak lift and get treated to a wonderful view.
Nice Q are forming over the area and I decide to push towards Clearlake.
But with low bases I turn around and head towards Walker Ridge. I make a radio call to indicate the area is working well and soon have several friends.
"4S" working under a soft cloud.
"4S" later in the afternoon on Walker Ridge.
Fresh snow, perfect visibility, nice thermals, fun gaggles, distinct cumulous and 3 1/2 hours of airtime marks an awesome day, but for late November it's incredible.

No comments: