"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Wave Window

In the Continental United States, normally all flight operations above 18,000 feet must be under Air Traffic Control, with clearance prior to entry and following Instrument Flight Rules. This sterile environment occupied by pressurized commercial jets rarely sees an engineless visitor. However, if the right conditions exist an Air Traffic Center will open a window into their realm and let soaring pilots play high above the earth. Today the forecast looks possible, so I take a ride in"Juliet Hotel" releasing downwind of Goat Mountain and try to catch that epic wave.
Climbing in wave I get a good view of Snow Mountain and Saint John in the foreground with Lake Pillsbury and a sea of white beyond.
The wind reaches 63 knots and at times I'm flying backwards. I try to find the best elevator up and get clearance into The Wave Window. Regulations no longer allow the altitude to be measured in feet because "Flight Level" sounds cooler. Climbing through Flight Level 200.
Nasal Cannulas are sexy.
Clouds are forming on Goat Ridge, my wave generator far below, with the sun reflecting off Clear Lake for a wonderful view as I'm parked stationary into the wind.
I find the true meaning of rarefied air. After an hour in The Wave Window I descend back down and attempt to regain feeling in my feet. Northbound over some nice clouds.
Lake Pillsbury peaking through a hole to my West.
With a Southerly component to the wind I play it safe and turn around early. I continue Southbound over the Rumsey Gap and catch some weak wave off the Ridge beyond. It's late November, yet a small fire breaks out in the hills West of the Capay Valley, so I have to check it out.
A nice view of clouds shrouding Mount Saint Helena to my West.
After an adventure into The Wave Window I get a personal best altitude of 20,700' (I mean Flight Level 207) and bring it home to Williams tired, cold and happy after four hours airborne.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work.
I sometinmes get a little creeped out climbing thru 20k in a sailplane.
I mean, thats usually the view I get from a 757.
Only 8-9mm of crusty rag between my butt and oblivion.
Gives me the chills sometimes.
Gotta love that '27 tho'

C R Valley said...

Nicely done!