"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Solar Powered Lift

With O.D. and a West wind forecast for today my hope was for ridge lift off Juniper Launch at Diablo. I got some passes above launch but soon lost the lift in a lull. I was sinking down the shadowed mountain with yesterdays sled ride fresh in my mind. I couldn't help but think "not another sledder, it's April."
I was low and desperately needed a thermal. Then sun then broke out over the foothills. Yes, up air.
I worked the sun soaked ground and benched up finding myself near cloud base.
There were nice Cumulous clouds to play under.
With the sun exposed, strong lift was everywhere and I enjoyed the view above the mountain.
After a nice hour in thermic lift, widespread clouds again formed blocking the sun's rays. I found myself low and took advantage of the shadow, which should take the bite out of a windy 1000 Footer landing.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Matt the 3rd pic up is officially my desktop background!