"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Foothills and Valley Gaggles

Being Tax Day gliders were heading for the hills when I arrived at WSC. I jumped into"Juliet-Hotel" and towed to Indian Valley where I worked North towards East Park Resevoir under a weak cloud street.
The clouds dried up, the lift weakened and I was 20 miles out, low in the foothills. After an hour of this my fun meter was pegged.
I moved towards the valley and decided to work lift closer to home. Fortunately everyone else had the same idea and I found some good pilots to follow around the valley.
Although, occasionally I would lead.
There were six sailplanes out helping locate thermals and we got in some fun gaggles.
As the lift gradually died in the late afternoon I found myself needing to stay within sight of the airport towards the end of this 4-1/4 hour flight and they questioned if I was going for a low altitude duration record.

No comments: