"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Clayton Hole

The winter months often bring radiation fog to Norther California which can shut down flying for days on end to all aircraft not instrument equipped. Although the fog is a common occurrence, forecasting where and when it will burn off is often a guess. However, for some unique meteorological reason, a hole in the layer often forms over the town of Clayton to allow hang glider pilots a spot to drop through. The hole is fickle, but today it formed, so I punched off The Towers atop Diablo and went for it.
A beautiful sea of white banking up against Long Ridge.
The layer can change in flight, so it is best to beeline straight for the hole.
Approaching the Clayton Hole with my Glory shining bright.
It is interesting to see the fog layer interact with complex terrain on the flight above.
Almost to the hole.
Picking the right spot.
And dropping down through.
Now in the clear, I set up for a low approach into Mitchell Canyon LZ making for a short carry.
The fog layer burned off shortly after my landing, but I'm glad I didn't wait, because it was so damn cool spinning down through the Clayton Hole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was fun flying with you today, Matt. I guess I traded the fog fun for my thermal action. If I'd been set up in time, I would've taken the fog. Gliding over and through the fog layer is cool.

RM

Matt Epperson said...

Yes, very cool, but it was pretty impressive watching you eek out 25 minutes on a day like yesterday. After all Eagle only had about 30 minutes of full sun before you hit it.