"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Two Days Beyond The Solstice

Having passed the Winter Solstice just two days ago, every day gets better, well longer and with a higher sun angle anyway. Todays forecast looks pretty good, well pretty good for being two days beyond the solstice anyway. With faint cumulous in the sky above Diablo, Robert waits for a cycle at Juniper Launch.
I'm off second and once airborne notice the thermals are weak and short lived. Despite Q above my head it's fickle and I'm reminded of last weeks short sailplane ride. It is deep dark winter after all, but you wouldn't know it looking out the window or up at the sky.
When Robert gets decked at Blakes, I realize I'm doomed. I burble down the mountain towards The Thousand Footer.
Robert says today was elusive. I say it was deep in the middle of winter. Either way, being two days beyond the solstice, it was pretty darn fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, what a nice day to be in the air! Despite the clouds being all show - no go, it was still fun to make some turns under 'em. The ground is so darn WET, it's no surprise we were getting wispy cues forming.

Good flying with you Daddy-O! ;)

RM