"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spring Practice

Dr. Jack is as overly optimistic as any Northern California soaring pilot on this winter post-frontal day. Despite an epic forecast, cloud base remains as low as the sun angle, so after patiently waiting for peak heating to occur, I take a tow and pin off at only 2K feet right above the airport for a challenging thermal practice session. I hope the unlimited post-frontal visibility and beautiful sky provide the same joy for the couple aboard the ride ship that I experience this great winter day.
The climbs are weak, the bases low and the gaggles fun as "98" moves onto my "six."
With low bases, I'm forced to stay near the airport. Oh, here's the ride ship again with a new set of smiling passengers.
After awhile cloud base rises to a whole 3K feet and I push towards the hills. Oh no, I hit OD and decide to retreat back towards Williams with the airport right on the other side of town.
Anyone can soar in big lift, but today was a challenge just to stay in the air and great practice for the spring to come. A little short of two hours, I certainly get my money out of a 2K foot tow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you weren't denied access to Diablo, like we were. Man I was pissed! We ended up at Funston.

RM

Matt Epperson said...

Bummer. Although, I don't think it was anywhere close to as epic as the forecast indicated, listening to the sailplane pilots out of Byron over the radio. Light lift to 2800 was all that was reported and they said it was a big challenge just to fly to Diablo.