"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Almost Wave

A front coming in tomorrow tempts me to try for some wave despite Dr. Jack's advice to find an earthbound activity. Off to Goat Ridge anyway. After weeks of high pressure the air has grown a haze and the snow has become sparse.
I hunt in the rotor and catch only sink squeaking my way back to the airport with just over an hour in the air. So I wait into the later afternoon for the front to get closer, the sun to get lower and for try number two, this time, the Rumsey Gap.
After a 20 mile tow directly into the sun I release half blind to hunt the ridge. The air feels like it wants to wave as I catch 50 fpm up for several minutes only for it to turn into sink finding little wavelets scattered from here too there. Up, down, up, down, it wants to wave, but I realize I'm still a little early. So I make my way down wind over the foothills looking for the sweet spot that isn't there.
And bring it back to Williams after another wonderful hour in the air. With dusk near, wave clouds finally begin to form for my drive home as it should be quite epic tonight. A nice day back in the air with a couple of takeoffs, a couple of nice landings and a hunt for wave that was almost there.

No comments: