"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sport 2 Test Flight at Diablo

What does every hang glider pilot need? Another hang glider. On local days when constrained by time or when an easy fun flight is in order, the Sport 2 155 fits perfectly. At 59 pounds, 7 upper battens per wing, light easy handling and a respectable low speed glide I decided to pick up a good used example. Today was finally the day for my maiden test flight on this wing.
Today also happened to be the perfect Sport 2 day. With high cirrus, low sun angles, a huge inversion, crossing winds at the Tower and a low stratus layer which would only break occasionally, I decided to set up at Juniper as the winds were light enough to get off. Kevin, Chris and Mike showed up, checked out my new bird and headed for the tower not to be seen again. I quickly finished set up and ran out a no wind launch with no time to spare as the 1000 footer had already become completely obscured in thick fog. It was a little aery as I headed towards a barely visible Pine Ridge over the stratus layer in my new, lower performance glider. Once out to Pine Ridge, Macedo Ranch LZ in Alamo became visible and I circled down quickly as low clouds were forming everywhere. The glide of the Sport 2 is respectable at low speeds however when you pull the bar in, the thing comes down in a hurry. Finding myself low on approach the Sport 2 was able to pull off a low downwind to final button hook turn for an easy uphill flare. Below is just after launch as I overfly the low broken stratus.

No comments: