"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January Snow Covered Mendocino Mountains

After nine rainy days of biblical proportion I decided to celebrate the return of the sun in the Northern California sky by a thirty mile tow to the Mendocino Mountains in the ASW 24-B "Delta-Romeo."



I can't recall the latent heat capacity of snow, however Goat Peak was producing little thermal lift despite being post-frontal. The mountains were absolutely beautiful in January. This was the first opportunity for me to see them capped in snow. Letts Lake shown in the second picture above was completely iced over. With little lift in the mountains I headed for the foothills and then to the valley to find weak thermals which extended my flight for about an hour and fifteen on this glorious January day. Below is a clip from my long tow out of Williams.

No comments: