"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Soaring in the New Year

Wow, I had to wait four entire days into 2011 to get my feet off the ground. Although, I did manage an apropos way to start the New Year, as I venture to Mount Diablo to meet up with my hang gliding instructor Wally who taught me the wonders of soaring a few years back. With Wally already airborne I push off Juniper Launch into a light cycle.
Wally is certainly a master of flight and has currency in fixed wing, sailplanes and hang gliders. Soaring is in his family and I often share a thermal with his wife Ginny who soars the Northern California skies aboard her ASW-24 "G3." Today Wally is on his paraglider coring a nice one, so I decide to join him.
Working hard in a challenging thermal with Wally high above.
A light day and I fight to maintain. Hey, for the first week of January, not bad.
You know when the student surpasses his instructor. Wally, you have nothing to worry about, as I fall out of the thermal and scratch down the West side of Diablo.
North Gate Road winding through beautiful foothills.
A nice landing at The Thousand Footer is a great way to roll in the New Year. 2011, BRING IT ON!

No comments: